Dr. Monica Peek recently hosted Doctors on Call, a Community Health Focus Hour, on WVON 1690AM. Sponsored by the University of Chicago Medicine Urban Health Initiative, the three part series discussed concerns effecting the Chicago community, especially related to diabetes. If you missed any appearances, check out the full three episodes on below and read more about the resources and collaborators available on the South Side of Chicago.
Episode 1 ? A ?Peek? on Diabetesÿ
(January 18, 2014) Dr. Monica Peek hosts Sheila Harmon, a regional manager and Certified Diabetes Educator for the ACCESS Community Health Network; Sheena Bryant, a manager of the Live Empowered initiative for the American Diabetes Association; and Pastor Torrey Barrett, executive director of the KLEO Community Family Life Center; to discuss the South Side Diabetes Project and diabetes prevention. Learn more about the topics and organizations discussed in the links below:
Diabetes Prevention and Control
- Learn more about the risk factors associated with diabetes at the ADA website
- Eating healthy can help control and prevent diabetes. Here are helpful links for portioning a meal with the plate method and other nutrition tips.
- Patient Empowerment through Shared Decision Making is a key component of the Diabetes Education Classes. Click here for a video and more tips for your next doctor?s visit.
ACCESS Community Clinics and the South Side Health Care Collaborative
- To learn more about healthcare options on the South Side, visit the South Side Healthcare Collaborative website ÿor call 773-702-5668
- For more information on the diabetes education classes at ACCESS Community Clinic?s Grand Boulevard location, call 773-288-6900
- For more information on the health screenings and healthcare options available at ACCESS Community Health Clinics visit their website or call 1-866-882-2237
Live Empowered, an initiative of the American Diabetes Association
- The ADA will be hosting a Diabetes Expo, free and open to the public, on April 5 at McCormick Place. Learn more here.
- If you are interested in the workshops offered by Live Empowered or being trained to host a workshop, learn more at their website www.diabetes.org or call 1-800-DIABETES (1-800-342-23837)
KLEO Family Life Center
- You can learn more about Pastor Torrey Barrett and the KLEO Community Family Life Center by visiting their website or call 773-363-6941
- The KLEO food pantry and health fair is held on the first Wednesday of each month from 2 ? 4pm at 119 E. Garfield Blvd Chicago, IL. 60637 (NE Corner of Michigan Ave and Garfield Blvd).